Deadly attraction: Keep magnetic desk toys away from children, teens
By contactus@priority-pediatrics.com
February 28, 2018
Category: Uncategorized
Tags: Untagged

Deadly attraction: Keep magnetic desk toys away from children, teens

Trisha KoriothStaff Writer
 
From AAP NEWS December 27, 2017
 

You don’t see high-powered magnet sets on toy store shelves anymore, and it’s for a serious reason. Also known as rare-earth magnets, they have a strong attraction to one another and can be deadly if swallowed.

However, some high-powered magnet sets still are sold online and in stores as desk toys for

 

adults. You might see them in offices, on living room tables or perhaps you received a set as a gift over the holidays.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) urges families with children to keep high-powered magnet sets out of their home. Young children might be tempted to put the small, shiny objects into their mouths. Teens might put them in their mouths to look like a tongue piercing.

The magnets are about the size of a BB or tiny cube and often come in clusters of 200 or more. They can be molded and shaped without coming apart. They are made from a combination of metals (neodymium) with a more powerful attraction than regular magnets.

When two or more magnets or one magnet and a piece of metal are swallowed, they can attract each other through the stomach, intestines and other organs. This can lead to injury or death, unless removed by a surgeon.

A child who has swallowed magnets can have stomach pain, vomiting and fever. Parents should get medical help right away.

In 2008, the AAP helped change rules about how children’s toys with magnets are made. Now, magnets must be attached to the toy so they cannot fall out and be swallowed by children.

The AAP is asking for changes to protect children from being injured by magnet sets sold to adults. A recent study found that half of all magnet injuries to children were from sets labeled for adults (http://bit.ly/2BerVUA).

Check to see if products with magnets have been recalled at www.cpsc.gov/recalls. Report any injuries from high-powered magnets to SaferProducts.gov.

Find more information on HealthyChildren.org, the AAP website for parents, at http://bit.ly/2mUROpC.

Comments: